Wednesday, January 09, 2008

life after college

Today I slept until 11 again. Life after college is fun because you don't have anymore pesky 9 or 10 am classes to mess with your sleep schedule.

But then there's that lingering problem of my future...

And so many books to read.

After graduating from college, one is forced to look back and reassess the past. Which girls in college should I have dated? And why didn't I? And what does this mean? And you start looking back on your freshman year-18 years old and you think you know everything. And then you turn around and you're 22 and you realize you know a lot less than everything, and probably even less than you think you do. Even after that awesome freshman seminar.

Nathan was talking about these kids who from an early age were put into all these activities and lessons, to the point to where every waking moment was used to develop them each into a well-rounded, latin-speaking, viola-playing, chess-dominating eight year old.

And all I could think was that I would've turned out to be an entirely different person if I hadn't had the free time as a kid to strain dirt in my backyard with a piece of porch screen and a frisbee.

What would I do with the strained dirt? It didn't matter. The point was, the dirt was no longer full of rocks and pine needles. It was soft and smooth and all over my clothes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

i like this post. and your beard.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home