Wednesday, August 30, 2006

classroom antics

You know how sometimes there can be someone in the class who is just a little weird? Whenever this person raises their hand and opens their mouth, you brace yourself. Maybe for something stupid, maybe nerdy, maybe incredibly cryptic. There's this girl who sits in front of me who just says the weirdest things. She's not stupid. She's just a little off. I'm gonna try to recreate the incident the best I can. We were discussing an article in which the writer made a statement that the very nature of ideologies is suppressive. He was of the mind that any ideology exists only to dominate minorities. So here we go:

Professor: So is Kellman saying that all ideologies are meant to suppress and dominate? I mean, could we say that his assertion is representative of his own ideology?

Daniel raises his hand.

Professor: Daniel?

Daniel: It seems problematic to me, because for there to be oppressive ideologies, other ideologies would have to be oppressed. So it'd be impossible for all ideologies to dominate if some need to be dominated for the dominant ones to dominate.

Professor: Interesting postulation.

Christy raises her hand.

Professor: Christy?

Christy: (gestures to the guy next to her) Matt and I are different. Matt's different than me. I'm different than Matt. It doesn't mean Matt's better than me, or I'm better than Matt. We're just different.

All stare. The Professor's smile is frozen on his face. Matt just stares straight ahead, not wanting to make eye contact.

I dunno. For some reason I just found that so odd and funny.

2 Comments:

Blogger John said...

I had a class mate do pretty much the same thing like five minutes ago in Political Science. Thats weird.

10:56 AM  
Blogger thegirlemily said...

i see the humor.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home